Cognitive memory is nothing that we do not already know! It refers to the memory function that involves thinking and processing information. Our memory plays really important role in our day to day activities. The information that we remember is stored in the memory component of our brain.
Our cognitive memory function helps in developing and improving our personality.
Cognition is the ability of our mind to think, judge, to adapt the occurrences, to understand the language, to form perception and to acquire knowledge from various sources.
You can improve your cognitive skills by enrolling into various cognition programs. One of the best programs is offered by the Mind Valley Academy where you can sharpen the skills of your mind and develop cognitive memory to a great extent.
Our abilities to reason, remember, learn, read and get attention is categorised into cognitive skills. In order to all these activities to take place we should make sure that all the cognitive aspects work together. Our thoughts must align with our actions. What we read must be retained in our mind to maximum extent. Therefore, cognition plays an important role in our lives.
We can sharpen our cognitive abilities through perseverance and continuous efforts. In order to understand a few of the given cognitive skills, we have mentioned the outline of a few skills here:
It is divided into three parts-
- Sustained attention: In this type of attention your focus is enhanced. You are able to lay your focus on one thing for a longer period of time. Something that we can relate to the meditative state of mind.
- Selective attention: In this type of attention you can focus on task specific. You realise that you can train your mind to focus on one task by avoiding the other distractions. It helps you in bringing out the best of your performance in the task at hand.
- Divided attention: In this type of attention you can do multi tasking. The mind can focus on more than single object or one thing at one time. You can perform multiple tasks and yield better results in various tasks that are occurring around you at one time.
Processing of information can also take place in three formats:
- Visual processing: This type of processing allows you to think and perceive the images visually. You can visualize anything as soon as it comes to your mind.
- Auditory processing: This type of processing allows you to think and process the information by blending with the situation and analyzing it through various sound segments. This process involves a lot of complex functions that happen simultaneously in our memory.
- Processing speed: This refers to the speed of processing any information. Our mind gets access to the information and performs task with good speed and better accuracy. When our mind can process information faster our thinking abilities sharpen and we are able to reach the conclusions at a faster pace with right judgement abilities.
We have often specified about the types of memories in our articles. The memory is categorised into 2 categories:
- Short term memory: This type of memory function involves that information which is stored in our mind for 15-30 seconds. For example when you are reading something for immediate 15-30 seconds you remember what you exactly read but you miss upon the exact formation of the sentences beyond this period of time.
- Long term memory: This type of memory function refers to the information that gets stored in our mind for more than 2-3 minutes. Whatever we remember after a certain period of time is stored in the long term memory component of mind. The occurrences of past come into this category.
The cognitive function of our mind relates to our abilities to deal with the social function. Our mind is able to focus on the tasks at hand. The lack of cognitive function leads to certain disabilities of which some are relatively bigger while others are minor enough to be understood by others until we talk to them. For example, when we meet someone and say that person is a little ‘slow’, it refers to the disruption in the cognitive abilities in the person.
Some of the cognition based abilities can be sharpened by practice such as time to time counselling and meditational practices while there are some cognitive distortions are by birth. The treatment rate of the later depends entirely on the extent of the problem that persists in different humans at different rates.
We suggest our readers to develop logical reasoning and rational thinking through various brain games and practices. Rational thinking leads to better cognition and relativity. We connect better with other human beings and thus develop sustainable social relationships.
Seek information about cognitive memory and its development practices at the blog of Mind Valley Academy.